Breaking News

Listen Up Liam And Noel!
















These Are The Tracks We Want To See On Your 'Best Of'

You voted for them, then we got the stars to talk about them.









LIVE FOREVER
Tom, Meighan, Kasabian:
"It's one of the greatest songs ever written. It's so innocent and pure. It's like 'In My Life' by The Beatles. It means the same to me as that [Beatles] song did to people in the past"

Kyle Falconer, The View:
"It was the first song by Oasis that made me realise how good they were, as it really grabbed me by the balls. It was also the first song I learnt to play on the guitar. We didn't go to Knebworth because we were only eight years old at the time! But [bassist] Kieren's first ever concert was Oasis at Loch Lomond. It changed his life."Barry Fratelli:"It's just one of the all-time classic songs, and it defined an entire era. Everything was downhill for Oasis after that song - that's how good it was."








CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA
Jamie Cook, Arctic Monkeys:
"It's one of the best final songs on an album ever. That's when we started really getting into music, because they were the only decent British band. We all bought the DVDs and thaught, 'F****n' hell, I wish I were in that band."









SLIDE AWAY

Kate Jackson, The Long Blondes:
"I spent 24 hours on a school bus to Austria in '94 listening to 'Definitely Maybe' and feeling utterly superior to my fellow travellers. I knew I was listening to the coolest band in the world. 'Slide Away' still remains my favourite song on the record."

Jarvis Cocker:
"There's something quite moving about it."









SOME MIGHT SAY

Matthew Gwilt, The Sunshine Underground:
"Not just the single track, but the whole single package. The B-sides ['Acquiesce', 'Talk Tonight' and 'Headshrinker'] were all completely different, but all brilliant. Getting this single inspired me to buy the rest of the singles...and throw a telly out of my mum's bedroom window!"









SHAKERMAKER

Johnny Borrell, Razorlight:
'Shakermaker' was like an explosion when it came out. 'Who is this bloke and why is he singing with such a stupid vpice? Wow!' I was a child and that's how I felt. Real music!"









ROCK 'N' ROLL STAR

Richard Archer, Hard-Fi:
"It was certainly this, the first track off 'Definitely Maybe', which changed my life completely. It made me feel like I was part of something for the first time. Before this album, I was like an outsider looking in, but after it came out I felt like I was part of a musical movement. I was of the age that I actualy felt that I had the ability to do something about it. Just to get involved in some way and maybe, you know, try and do my own thing. I had long hair before that album came out and I think I might have even had my hair cut because of Oasis!"

Tom Smith, Editors:
"I still remember the adrenaline rush 'Rock 'N' Roll Star' gave me. Just ridiculous, pompous; everyting you want to be when you are 15 years old, which is the age that we were when we were listening to those records. I missed out on going to Knebworth, but was really jealous of all the kids who had gone. Imagine being able to see The Prodigy and Oasis in one night. Dammit!"









CIGARETTES & ALCOHOL

Luke Pritchard, The Kooks:
"I used to be a big Oasis fan. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' has got to be my favourite - it's got an amazing guitar solo."









SUPERSONIC
Alexis Taylor, Hot Chip:
"It made me feel all tough and exited insode. I didn't go to Knebworth but I did get 'Definitely Maybe' signed the day it came out. I remember Liam couldn't spell or understand my name after repeated mutterings, so he just signed it 'To Alex'. Bonehead signed Owen Hot Chip's beer bottle with the slogan 'keep it wide', which we never understood."









WONDERWALL

Kele Okereke, Bloc Party:
"It's the way that Liam sings it. I'm not really a fan of him as a singer, but he sings like a wounded boxer or something. It's really beautiful."

Andrew Stockdale, Wolfmother:
"You can say what you like about Oasis, but at the end of the day they wrote 'Wonderwall'. Post-grunge, no-one knew what to do, and they made music exiting again. Now I'm older I can appreciate them - they're rock stars. They kick ass."









CAST NO SHADOW

Chris Peck, Bot Kill Boy:
"It's a really emotive song - it shows there's a sensitive, grown up-side to them. Oasis captured what was going on in this country at that time for alot of people, musically and socially. At a time when the British music scene had become dull, they were one of the bands that made music exiting again; gave it the edge it needed and made it dangerous for a whole new generation."









ACQUIESCE

Carl Dalemo, Razorlight:
"I saw them play it live without Noel and there was no singing in the choruses, which was wierd. Liam just stood there looking angry. It was in 2000 when Noel wasn't playing and it's a B-side to 'Some Might Say."








MORNING GLORY

Lily Allen:
"I love seeing them live. Liam's performance tactics, are really amusing. '(What's The Story) Morning Glory' was played quite a lot when i was young. It reminds me of my teens, when they summed up British culture."









TALK TONIGHT

Screech, The Long Blondes:
"I remember seeing them on MTV Unplugged when Noel had to do it on his own 'cos Liam had walked out. It then really dawned on me just how good a songwriter Noel was. And it's just 'Some Might Say's B-side!"









THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IDLE
Carl Barat, Dirty Pretty Things:
"For the one simple reason that being idle is one of my prized character traits."









WHATEVER
Whiskas, Forward, Russia!:
"When Blur did 'Country House', it was a pompous Britpop song that was bad, whereas 'Whatever' was a pompous Britpop song that was good and it wasn't on any album. It was like, 'Let's put a string section in', but it worked."









BRING IT ON DOWN
Ross Millard, The Futureheads:

"I just like the vocal melody. It's a weird choice, I know, but there's just something about it. Oasismania meant a lot because it hit when I was starting to learn how to play the guitar. Let's just say it's very easy to play all of their songs, so they're a great band to learn how to play the guitar to really."








ROUND ARE WAY
Nick Hodgson, Kaiser Cheifs:
"It's off the 'Wonderwall' single and it's brilliant! (Singing) 'Round our way the birds are singing' - that is classic Britpop!"








SHE'S ELECTRIC

Alex Kapranos, Franz Ferdinand:
"It's a good tune. It's impossible to deny they're a good band. They just wrote so many catchy tunes."









ROCKIN' CHAIR
Pete Doherty, Babyshambles:
(Sings an entire verse) "I'm older than I wish to be/This town holds no more for me/All my life I try to find another way/I don't care for your attitute/You bring me down I think your rude/All my life I try to make a better day'. It's just a B-side to 'Roll With It', but it's an inspired song with wicked lyrics and guitar sounds. They've got the lot. And 'Bring It On Down' is a great anthem, too. I was too young to go to Knebworth. And QPR were playing that day in the FA Cup."









STAND BY ME

Eddie Argos, Art Brut:
"People say Oasis lyrics are just nonsense, but the words to this one are really good. I like the line, 'Made a meal and threw it up on Sunday/I've got alot to learn', because it is about when you first leave home and you don't know how to cook and you do everything wrong. We played with them in Germany recently. Liam was at the side of the stage dancing during our set and when we played 'Modern Art' he went 'F****n' 'ell what's this one? Let's f****n' 'ave it!' - thats his favourite song of ours."









PART OF THE QUEUE

Jamie Hornsmith, The Rakes:
"It's an acoustic one that Noel sings and it reminds me of 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers. It was on the last album, but I don't think it was a single - should've been though."










MARRIED WITH CHILDREN

Preston, The Ordinary Boys:
"Arctic Monkeys and Pete Doherty do it as well now- articulate mundanity. This track is like that - it's really clever, I think they're proper intelligent guys. They know they're acting like funny characters. It's not necessarily accurate, and they appreciate the irony of it."









LITTLE JAMES

Chris Cain, We Are Scientists:
"It's lyrics move me to tears! We all have our favourite part, mine is when he talks about the toys which he likes even though they make noise. Now Noel Gallagher's gonna stab us!"









DON'T GO AWAY
Annie Hardy, Giant Drag:
"I have trouble picking favourites of anything, but that 'Don't Go Away' is pretty sweet."








DON'T LOOK BACK IN ANGER
Plan B:
"It's a good song to sing when you are pissed out of your head. I went to Wembly to see them once and crowdsurfed straight away, and got thrown out after sitting through hours of The Happy Mondays - then broke back in by shinning up a drainpipe."

Source: NME

No comments