Breaking News

Mad For It!















Where were you while they were getting high? Here, the fans themselves tell you

Iain, 28, Glasgow
"The very mention of the word Knebworth brings a big smile to my face. What a day I had, and it was my first ever gig. I was 18 at the time, had just left school and was about to go to uni. I'm from Ayrshire so I was on the phone all day when the tickets went on sale trying to get one for Loch Lomond, but I couldn't get through. Later that night a friend phoned to say he had a spare for Loch Lomond. Unfortunately my younger brother answered the phone and accepted the offer. World War III broke out in the house and I left the dinner table distraught! I was livid with my brother but a few days later another friend said his dad had tickets for the Sunday at Knebworth. He would drive us down on the morning of the gig and we would stay overnight in London. I was absolutely ecstatic as, like everyone at the time, I was obsessed with Oasis."

Gary,22, Stevenage
"As we lived in nearby Stevenage, me and a few mates went down to Knebworth with about two quid in our pockets just hoping to soak up the sun and listen from the outside. Well, just after The Bootleg Beatles played, out comes some guy and gives me a ticket! I was gob-smacked. After running three miles to a telephone box to tell my mum I was going to see the greatest band on Earth I got my chance to see them for the first time. This year I saw them for the tenth time. I can easily say Oasis changed my life."

Russ, 30, Hertfordshire
"I have to thank the FA cup final for me getting my Knebworth tickets. I'd been at work all morning so my mate and my mum tried to get tickets for me, but when I got home they told me there'd been no joy. Twenty minutes into the Cup Final, I thaught, "Hold on, there's about 70,000 people here not phoning for tickets." Second attempt on the phone and they were in the bag!"

Rob, 25, London
"My dad dropped me and my best mate Rich off at Knebworth at 9am. When Oasis arrived, the perfect position we had been in all day was torn from us by thousands of eager fans. After half an hour, I lost Rich, then I lost my bag, then one trainer, then I got hit by a bottle of piss, then John Squire came on for 'Champagne Supernova'. Oasis were amazing! Every song was brilliant and they ruled the world - In my eye's, anyway. At the end of the night, I was dehydrated, alone, with one shoe on and no bag, but with a great big smile on my face. Then I found my bag, then my shoe, then Rich! Then my dad, complete with a big bottle of squash and a warm journey home."

Dan, 27, Bristol
"The highlight for me was when Liam handed me his tambourine! We went both days and during the first day we were in the second row while Liam was bantering with the crowd. So as we'd managed to get to the front row the second day, we decided to have a bash. Halfway through the set, I asked Liam for his tambourine and he replied, 'Don't you worry mate, I'll be down there later, it's yours.' I didn't believe I'd get it and my mates certainly didn't, especially as he always just throws it in the crowd. Anyway, half way through the last track he went to throw it but stopped, pointed at me and proceeded to get down off the stage and head for me. There were a few security guards around holding the rest of the crowd back. Sure enough Liam gave me the tambourine and shook my hand. I still have it, and it's now been signed by the man himself! I stood outside his house in the February of the following year. I was an Oasis nut at the time, still am I guess. I have been to over 30 gigs now."

Jay, 20, Buckinghamshire
"Knebworth was one of the most surreal days of my life. My dad's friend Mark Feltham was playing harmonica with Oasis on the '...Morning Glory' tour, but being only 10 this didn't mean much to me. We were in the VIP tent, which was exclusively for griends and family of the band, when my dad started chatting to some Irish guy and introduced me to him as I had just started playing guitar. His name was Tim and he was the singer/guitarist in some band called Ash! I remember Mick Hucknall hiding away in a corner spending most of his time chatting up Martine McCutcheon off Eastenders. I think I spent most of my time playing on a huge Scalextric track. I also got Jarvis' autograph, later which was the highlight of my day 'coz he'd only just got his arse out at Michael Jackson during the Brits. Later we headed out for the gig, but I only really recall seeing my dad's mate on the screens. I do remember my dad shaking hands with a guy who had the biggest smile on his face though. That, of course, was Noel. Now being 20 years old, most people think it's bullshit when I tell them, but in truth it's one of the biggest regrets of my life, as I wasn't old enough to remember and appreciate this part of Rock and Roll history."

Ryan, 26, Berkshire
"Me and my girl spent the early part of the day in the crowd for The Bootleg Beatles and Ocean Colour Scene, but we sat out The Chemical Brothers to get some grub. We were sat under a tree when, on the dirt track nearby, a golf buggy ran into some unlucky punter. The passenger immediately got out... 'twas only Liam Gallagher himself! he gave the guy a hug and got back in, not 20 meters from us. My girl covered this 20 meters in approximately four seconds but it was too late - Liam continued to drive into the backstage area."

Louise, 29, Caerphilly
"One of my friends bought a ticket for £200 from a tout - well it was the gig of the century! The PA system was so loud that even before the bands started I was suffering with tinnitus, I had to join a queue fir over three hours to get a warm lager and the toilets were worse then the one in Trainspotting. But on the other hand all the support acts were brilliant and the temperature was in the high 70's. Oasis came on stage to the biggest roar I have ever heard in my life, followed by Noel shouting, "This Is History!" When John Squire came on for 'Champagne Supernova' the crowd all sang along; even 10 years later it makes my hair stand on end. even the three hours it took to get out of there were worth it. We got back to Wales 24 hours after we'd left, realising we had just enjoyed the gig of our lifes."

Raja, 24, London
Me and my friends took far too many pork pies along with us that day, so the only thing we could do with them as high into the air as possible. I was personally responsible for starting the Knebworth food fight that day and remember vividly the scene as hundreds of bags of food and rubbish flew above the crowd as we waited for Oasis to come on."

Helen, 25, London
"Watching Oasis live was almost a weekly occurrence for me in the 90's and it was always entertaining, mostly to witness what Liam would be wearing and saying. Knebworth, though was far the biggest although perhaps not the best (surely Maine Road!). Define highlight was seeing Squire come on for 'Champagne Supernova', which lasted way too long, but after that many warm beers, who cares?"

Source: NME

No comments