Breaking News

Noel Gallagher - 'I Suffered After Knebworth'














Oasis guitarist and songwriter Noel Gallagher has admitted he suffered after the band played their massive Knebworth shows in 1996 - because he didn't know what to do next.

The band played the gigs to 250,000 on the back of the huge success of their first two albums - 1994 debut 'Definitely Maybe' and '(What's The Story) Morning Glory' in 1995.

However speaking exclusively in this month's to NME's sister title Uncut, Gallagher revealed that the comedown affected him badly.

"The plan was always to become the biggest band in the world," he recalled. "And as much as everybody around us and me used to say it, I was the only one who fucking believed it was going to happen. Like Alan McGee (head of the band's label Creation), like Liam (Gallagher, singer), they would say the words and all that, but, in hindsight, everyone was just going along with what I was saying.

"But I knew it was fucking going to happen. I knew in me bones it was gonna happen. After that, at the time, dong the biggest ever gigs in England, 'Morning Glory' being the biggest album in British history, it was like, 'Well, what now?'

"I remember sitting there, at Knebworth, in the backstage area, and someone saying, 'Well, what now?' And I was like, 'I couldn't fucking tell ya.' And that was how I felt for a good couple of years afterwards, I really suffered. It's like, what do you do when you've done everything. I suppose it's like getting a massive, massive pay rise and buying everything you want. What do you do after that? You kind of sink into boredom. Kind of directionless.

"For the full story and the band's track-by-track guide to their forthcoming Best Of, 'Stop The Clocks', get Uncut now, on sale in all good newsagents.

source: www.nme.com

No comments