Breaking News

Noel On.. Alan McGee












Creation Records' boss Alan McGee wrote a new chapter in music history when he spotted Oasis playing at King Tut's in Glasgow in 1993.

He was so knocked out by the unknown Manchester band he offered them a deal on the spot.

Noel told me: "The story we were NOT booked to support 18 Wheeler is true... but the myth which says we threatened to smash up the club if they didn't let us on isn't."

As anybody who's ever met a Glasgow doorman will tell you you're not smashing anything up in that town - particularly if you're five skinny kids from Manchester. You'd get your head kicked in."

McGee asked us: 'What are you called?' I said: 'Oasis'. I was trying to be quite cool so when he asked if we'd like a record deal I asked: 'Who with?'"

Noel revealed that when the group got home to Manchester they hit the phones to find out more about the charismatic McGee.

Noel said: "There used to be a big cardboard cut-out of McGee in Eastern Bloc Records in Manchester. That's how I knew who he was.

"I was into Primal Scream and Teenage Fanclub so I knew about i Creation. I phoned a couple of people who knew him and said: 'McGee is off his head, isn't he?'

"But they said that was what he did. That's when I realised he was serious. McGee is a superstar in my eyes."

Source: www.sundaymail.co.uk

No comments