Breaking News

Chris Sharrock - The New Oasis Drummer












Born on the Wirral in 1964, Chris Sharrock cut his percussive teeth with '80s Scouse combo The Icicle Works, before beating the skins for The La's,World Party and, for the last 12 years Robbie Williams's backing band. Then Noel called...again.

This is the second time you've been offered the job of drummer in Oasis, isn't it? Noel says you were the original choice in 2004 before Zak Starkey joined...

Yeah. Noel phoned me four years ago and said "What do you think [about joining Oasis]?" and I was like "Yeah, interested, ring us back on Friday." And I waited four years for him to phone me back, basically. This time he phoned up and I was in bed watching Bargain Hunt. I hadn't done anything for 15 months. It was a bit of an uneventful time, so it was great to get a call.

Have you always been an Oasis fan?

Oh yeah. I've loved Oasis since they kicked off. I'm a fan, course. They're f***ing great, aren't they? Best rock'n'roll band in the world in my opinion.

Talk us through your drumming history...

The Icicle Works were my first real band. Everyone talks about me being in The La's but I was only there for about eight months. I left after the Mike Hedges session [the original 1990 version of the band's sole album] was scrapped and I ended up in the practice room on the Monday, just me playing drums and Lee [Mavers] reading a book on African drumming. I just didn't turn up the next day. I went straight from that to World Party. That was weird,cos it was like going from early Beatles with The La's to the White Album. And now I've joined the mid-period Beatles.

Have Liam or Noel ever taken the piss because you'd played with Robbie Williams for 12 years?

No! It's weird, no one's mentioned it. No one's taken the piss. Yet.

As a drummer you're quite a showman, throwing the sticks around...

Well I won't be doing any of that. When you've got Liam standing in front of you, it doesn't seem appropriate. I'm just clinging onto the sticks for dear life at the moment, never mind tossing them around. I'm just trying to get the drums as strong as possible. All 20 songs in the set are classics.

How will you cope if there are any rucks?

[Laughs] I dunno. I'll probably go and polish me drums or something.

Source: Q Magazine
This months edition has 50 pages of interviews, photos with the band.

Click here to vote for us at the BT Music Awards.

No comments