Breaking News

Liam Gallagher 'We Are The Best Band In Britain, Without A Doubt'




















Whether or not they are the biggest band in the world, Oasis are truly one of the music industry's supergroups, combining the swagger and grit of the Sex Pistols with the classic pop sounds of the Beatles. The English rock band have just released their seventh studio album, Dig Out Your Soul, which debuted at the top of the United Kingdom charts. It also opened at No5 in the United States, their best position in that country in more than a decade. The band has since announced a massive tour for next summer. Emirates Business caught up with frontman Liam Gallagher to talk about the new album and the band's turbulent journey to the top.

You've been around for 17 years...

I don't want to be on Oprah Winfrey if that's what you are asking (laughs).

What does it feel like to have been around so long?

No, it doesn't feel like 17 years actually. It feels like about 50. Listen, it feels good to be in Oasis, man.

Let's talk about your new album, Dig out Your Soul. What does it mean for you after all those years?

—It means the same thing that it meant the first time. It's a buzz to be making Oasis music. I didn't force people to buy Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory and I won't force them to buy this. If they like it, buy it, if they don't, I'm not interested.

How do you think the new album will stand the test of time?

I think it's a great and different record. We are a different band now and I'm the first to admit it. Who is to say – I mean bandwise – we are better? But our first three albums defined an era. But I like where we are now. I like all our albums.

What does the album title mean?

I don't know. It's just an album title. There's no real big meaning behind it.

Is Oasis more like a band these days than it was back in the 90s?

Yes. This is the best band there has been.

You sold 180,000 tickets within one hour in the UK. Are you happy?

Without a doubt. It's good times for Oasis man, good times.

Would you say it's the best time?

It's not all about success no more, you know what I mean? With Andy and Gem in the band, we are writing some serious, proper music – and that's good. We are a great band and we are living life a little bit differently these days – mentally, physically and musically.

When you look at all the figures it seems like Definitely Maybe has been your best album so far.

Well, I'm not here to argue with the public. If that's what they feel, that's what they feel. Basically it was a good record.

After your upcoming world tour, are there plans for another live album?

No, no plans to make any more. We are going to do this tour and see how it goes. I would like to make a new record pretty soon. As soon as we have finished the tour I would like to go back into Abbey Road [studios] and bang out some more music. And we've got plenty of songs. So a new Oasis record may come pretty soon.

There's always talk about Noel going solo. What is your comment on that?

Good luck to him. I hope he gives it away for free because I won't be buying it.

What about your songwriting? You seem comfortable doing your own songs – there are three on this album.

I have a guitar at home and when there is nothing on the TV, I pick up my guitar, see what's happening; and if nothing happens, I put it down. I am a singer first. I get my kicks from singing, more than from sitting around trying to solve the world's problems or writing songs.

Do you and Noel compete on the songwriting front?

No. He's better. He's the best songwriter of his decade, man. He's the best.

How close were Oasis to splitting up back in 2000?

Well, not in my mind. We were close. There was never no splitting up. You kind of split up actually, when three members leave out of your line-up, right?

What's your relationship with Noel like these days?

Beautiful. Beautiful. It's all right man, same as it always was – you know what I mean. It's a bit over-hyped actually.

Would you say the Beatles are still the biggest influence for you?

Yes, for me, without a doubt.

Queen are reforming now with Paul Rodgers. What do you think?

I'm not into Queen, so I don't care.

What do you think is the reason Oasis has never broken America?

Because of our attitudes. We are miserable. I don't know why we didn't make it. They obviously don't like us, yet we sold out Madison Square Garden [New York] in a minute... They obviously like other people instead but America is not the be all and end all for Oasis. America is a country in a big world so if they don't like us, somewhere else they will.

What's the hype going on in the UK that Oasis is the biggest band?

That's not hype mate, that's fact. We are not about to sell our English tour in a minute, we have done so. It's a fact.

So what about Coldplay? Chris Martin said that compared to Oasis, they were the biggest.

I don't care about them. We are the coolest band and we are the best band. We are not the biggest band in America but who would want to be that?

I guess you've made quite a fortune?

Yes. But I've spent it all mate... I've spent it on fish.

Source:


PROFILE: Liam Gallagher, Singer

The 36-year-old Oasis frontman was born William John Paul Gallagher. He formed the infamous rock band with three friends in Manchester in 1991. They were soon joined by his older brother Noel. The band, which became famous performing on the Manchester club circuit, have since gone on to sell more than 50 million records worldwide. Their debut album, Definitely Maybe, was once the fastest-selling debut in the UK, and their second, (What's The Story) Morning Glory, sold more than 20 million copies. Noel and Liam are the band's top songwriters and comprise its core, with several members – including Liam at one point – having quit over the course of their 17-year history. The present line-up includes guitarist Gem Archer and bassist Andy Bell, as well as Chris Sharrock on drums. Oasis' status as the UK's top supergroup was confirmed when all 180,000 tickets for their English arena tour were sold out in an hour.

Liam, who is lead vocalist for the group, is currently married to Nicole Appleton and has two sons.

Source: Emirates Business 24/7

No comments