Breaking News

New Interview with Liam Gallagher Gem Archer & Andy Bell















Seow Jiamin in London

Mention the band Oasis and two things come to mind: First, the heady days of my youth when I would belt out the lyrics for What’s the Story, Morning Glory? without even really knowing what the song meant; and second, all the tabloid stories about the Gallagher brothers’ fights and brawling.

You can therefore understand why I was nervous making my way to interview the band in Camberwell, South London, about their seventh album, Dig Out Your Soul.

We’re talking about a band that gets into more fights than they’ve had gigs. Just a few years ago, 20 armed police officers were called in to break up a fight between the band and a group of Italians at a posh hotel in Munich when a drunk Liam Gallagher reportedly drop-kicked one officer in the chest.

As it turned out, my fears were totally unfounded. Upon entering the waiting room, I found guitarist Noel Gallagher, 41, sitting placidly in an armchair with a mug of tea in both hands, engaged in light conversation with other journalists about his music and television tastes (he doesn’t listen to music and he likes watching the news).

Lead singer Liam, 36, was very charming, chatty and charismatic, very often going off on tangents as new thoughts occurred to him. When he got excited about something, he would stand and wave his arms.

Guitarist Gem Archer, 41, sat attentively throughout on the edge of his seat, while bassist Andy Bell, 38, spent most of his time leaning back on his sofa. Meanwhile, Liam’s seven-year-old son, Gene, from his marriage to former All Saints member Nicole Appleton, rode around the room in a toy car. If he got too noisy, daddy would tell him to shush.

So, I rather enjoyed the interview. And it might have something to do with Liam complimenting me on my shoes. If you see Oasis wearing rhinestone-embellished Vans, you’ll know where the inspiration came from.

How’s life at the moment?

Liam: I love life. On the road, in the box, over to the right, over to the left. I love life, full-stop. How could you not like life? Even when it’s bad, it’s good.

Andy: We’ve all had bad experiences. We’ve all had them.

Gem: But the thing about it all ... When you’ve had a bad experience, you learn your lesson.

If you were to leave Oasis, what’s the first thing you would do?

Liam: I’d go buy a ticket to go see him (referring to Andy).

Andy: I haven’t got anything. They would have to kick me out.

Liam: No, we won’t. Sorry, we need you.

Gem: Don’t you even throw that ball at me. Right back at you.

Where do you get all your inspiration from when writing your music?


Liam: People, life ... Me personally, I couldn’t ever sit down and go, ‘Right, I’ve got a subject and I think I’m going to write about that’. I just sit and wait for it, you know what I mean? Life throws other things at you that can occupy your mind. So, I get my inspiration by not being inspired.

Andy: Completely. I’ve totally gone down that route before. And now when I write a song, I don’t rush any lyric at all, I don’t rush any of it. I just wait. If I’ve got two lines, then that song’s going to be two lines — until the next line.

Liam: The minute it starts getting a bit rushed and complicated, like panicky, then I don’t want to, you know what I mean?

Dig Out Your Soul was recorded at Abbey Road studios. Any stories to tell?


Liam: Quincy Jones walks in and he goes (puts on American accent), ‘Dude man, I thought you guys were a guitar band, man. I’ve never seen so many f***ing keyboards.’ That’s how we plan — we plan to go in there with nothing. And there’s always something going on. We rocked it, man ... We’re just a bunch of sh*t kickers from Manchester and Newcastle and Oxford, but we have top gear.

What’s your favourite song on the album?

Liam: I hate to say this, but I like them all. I like the whole thing. I really do. I dig the whole thing.

Gem: I can’t answer that question because it’s the same (as Liam) and they all have different little vibes, especially as we have gone rough. Some of them are a whole different kick up the arse. And the record should be listened to as a bunch. It’s made like that.

Liam: I think they are all there, man, the whole emotion. I think it’s a soul record, man.

What’s the best gig you’ve ever played?

Andy: The next one.

Gem: Ah, come on, man. We’ve definitely had some memorable ones.

Liam: You know, sometimes I sit there and I go, this is going to be a non-mover. They’re the best ones. You know the big ones, like Hollywood Bowl? Dude, it was the f***ing worst gig ever known to man. I hated it ... my soul just wasn’t rockin’. I can never ever say (which was the) best gig ’cos there were too many, but I can tell you sh*t gigs, and that was one of them.

What do you think about all these different magazine polls which vote you No 1, Best Album or Best Song or whatever?

Gem: Polls are great, sells records. It’s just one of those things, I mean really, it’s not about all that sh*t because music’s forever. Magazines go in the bin in two weeks, with all due respect.

This is the seventh studio album for you. Are you excited about the new release?

Liam: Yep, we were always excited about releasing new music. For me, anyway. It’s always nice to be a part of Oasis again, you know what I mean? I don’t know if the others feel the same way. I’d be excited if Oasis was releasing a hot dog or a newspaper or a new musical experience, a perfume or a branded funky weird old chair. I’d still be behind it all the way.

A perfume, eh? So if you were to release a new perfume, what would you call it?

Liam: I’d call it Mad Ferret, and it would smell like a mad ferret. We’re country people.

Source: Singapore Newspaper thanks to rocknrollstars_oasis

No comments