Breaking News

Oasis' Liam Gallagher On New Album: 'It Could Be Our Best










It should come as no surprise to Oasis fans that the British band's latest album - out Oct. 7 - sounds a whole lot like their past albums.

Liam Gallagher's nasally whine is there, as are the band's signature rock 'n' roll melodies and their not-so-subtle nods to the Beatles. As a result, Dig Out Your Soul is sure to be a welcome addition to the collection of any die-hard Oasis fan - of which there are plenty here in Canada, as evidenced by the thousands who turned up for the band's recent Canadian dates.

We sat down with Liam Gallagher at the end of August, a few hours before the band's show at GM Place, to talk about the new album and Oasis's place in the rock world.

Here are some excerpts from that conversation:

Q. How did it feel last night to play your first North American concert in years?

A. The crowds were great. You know what the first gig is like. You're jet-lagged and all that nonsense and it was a'right. It wasn't our best but we'll get there. People seemed to like it. I'll say it, we were a bit nervous with the new songs and stuff, to be quite honest. I was anyway. But there were bits of genius in there.

Q. Such as?

A. I don't know. We've done some good versions of songs.

Q. And the new album?

A. It's a'right.

Q. How does it rank for you among other Oasis albums?

A. It's the freshest one to date. So there are some good songs on there. Oasis is a different band from what it was 10 years ago and people got to realize that and I've got to realize that, and we're writing a different kind of music, but we're still writing good songs, I think. . . . It's good, man. I think it's a great record. It could be our best.

Q. You say Oasis is a different band. How so?

A. We're different people in the band, you know what I mean? We're getting older, you know what I mean? Musically, we're different. I think we're better.

Q. How?

A. Better technically, better at everything. I think we're a better band, man. Personally, we're better. Everything. Yeah man.

Q. You had a reputation for being very hot-headed. Have you cooled off?

A. It depends on the situation. If there's someone taking the f**king piss then I can go off, man. But if people are being cool, then I'm one of the sweetest guys in the world. Like I say, it depends on the situation. But I've chilled out a bit. I don't stay out drinking and doing all that nonsense any more because you can't and I don't want to. I don't have the energy for it.

Q. The Verve has a new album out. Between you and them, do you foresee a bit of a Britpop revival?

A. I hope not. I hated it the first time. It was rubbish. I don't like Britpop. That was the press getting smart and labelling ya. But I don't think the Verve are Britpop. I think Blur were Britpop and Supergrass were Britpop and all them, Menswear and bands like that . . . I think we were writing more deeper and special music than 'Girls who dig boys who dig girls.' You know what I mean? That kind of thing. No. I don't think we were Britpop.

Q. The title of the new album is Dig Out Your Soul. Where does that come from?

A. It comes from a lyric on [guitarist] Gem [Archer]'s song. And Noel was messing with a couple of titles - you'll have to ask him about 'em - but nothing seemed to stick. This one is sort of, you know, psychedlic and all that, you know, and you got to try hard man, to dig out your soul. Come on man, let's get in there, see what's there.

Q. How's the state of your soul?

A. My soul is just, absolutely, words can't describe it, man. And I'd hate to say the wrong words, but my soul is always magical, beautiful, challenging.

Q. How do you fuel it?

A. How do I feel it? My soul?

Q. No. How do you fuel it? Keep it going?

A. By not being a dick, man. And being cool, man. And being nice to people around you that you love and stuff like that. And by being a good person. Trying to be a good person. I am a good person.

Q. What are you hoping from this new album?

A. It's a magical album in my head and nobody can take that away from me regardless of whether it sells two copies, or two million copies or 20 million copies. It's already got its own life in my head. I'm very proud of it. I'm proud to be in a band with these guys and I hope they feel the same way. I'ts amazing, as far as I'm concerned. It'd be nice if people like it. I like it. But if you don't like it you don't like it. You can't force people to like your music.

Q. Do you have a favourite song on the album?

A. I like it all, man. I really like it all. Like it all. I mean [the songs I wrote] are pretty special and that, it's a personal thing. But I like 'em all man."

Source: www.vancouversun.com

No comments