Breaking News

Graham Coxon: 'I Tried Jumping From A Sixth-Storey Window After Blur/Oasis Showdown'



Guitarist says Damon Albarn talked him out of it

Graham Coxon has spoken about the fallout from Blur Britpop tussle with Oasis.

The guitarist says he felt so bad when 'Country House' beat 'Roll With It' to Number One in the UK singles chart in the summer of 1995 that he had to be talked out of jumping from a sixth floor window by Damon Albarn.

"It felt like a hollow, pointless victory to me," Coxon told the Daily Mail. "Our record company threw a big champagne party at Soho House in London. I felt I was being forced into enjoying the moment and I just wanted to be alone really.

"I couldn't handle being part of that crowd so I tried to jump out of a sixth-storey window. It was Damon (Albarn) who talked me out of it. Looking back, I should have enjoyed myself a lot more than I did during the Blur days."

Coxon also described how he was once caught stealing sausages from a shop in Camden, north London at the tail end of the '90s.

He said: "The butcher saw me and gave chase. He finally caught up with me outside Woolworths and gave me a very firm punch in the jaw. I suppose I was asking for it but I didn't care at the time. I wouldn't have cared if he had hacked my arm off with a chicken's beak. Also, I happened to be wearing a denim skirt and there was a bus-load of people watching. It wasn't my proudest moment."

Looking to his future with Blur, the guitarist was much more upbeat, declaring: "When the gigs [this summer] come, we just want to go out there and enjoy them. After that, who knows? There could be another album. There could be more to come."

Source: www.nme.com

1 comment

DARIOHEAD said...

CHECK THIS GREAT MOMENT WITH ANDY BELL AND GEM ARCHER IN CHILE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWD-y4Ct3YY

IT SEEMS LIKE ANDY KNEW A BAND FROM CHILE CALLED "THE GANJAS" AND HE REACT VERY SHOCKED WHEN HE RECIEVE AN ALBUM FROM IT, HE DIDN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT SO IT SURPRISE HIM A LOT!.