Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On TalkSport












Noel appeared on Andy Goldstein’s Sports Bar again on Sunday 6 June and spoke about his birthday trip to New York: “It’s got lots of buildings, yellow taxis, lots of fat people...it was good, weather was good, did a bit of mooching around, didn’t do much”, the only birthday present he received: “I got a jar of Marmite off the Sun and that was it”, his awful suffering from hangovers: “I get two day hangovers, horrible, horrible... it doesn’t stop me getting smashed all the time, though.” & more...

On music:

Jason Cundy: Tell us about the work you’re doing at the minute, there’s a new album coming out.

Noel: No, no, no, I’m not doing anything, the only thing I’m doing at the minute... I’m not doing anything...

Andy Goldstein: You’ve got a Best Of Oasis album coming out, or is it out?

Noel: That’s right, we’ve got a singles album coming out next week, all 27 singles for the first time on CD haha

Andy Goldstein: Why was Whatever never on an album?

Noel: Because it came... I had that song left over after Definitely Maybe and before Morning Glory and we had this thing when we started, that we were gonna put out a single every three months, like forever, and the three months was kinda up and we were in between albums so we put that out and then by the time we done Morning Glory, it kinda wasn’t part of either album so we thought it would be cool to leave it as a stand-alone single... because nobody kinda does that thing anymore.

Jason Cundy: Is there going to be a lot of publicity for the album?

Noel: Well, I don’t know how big these things are anymore with iTunes, do you know what I mean?, I mean, you can make your own singles album up off iTunes, so I’m not sure how relevant these things are anymore, and Oasis is one of those bands that if you’re into them, you have all of the singles, anyway, we’re not a band that people think are alright, you either love us or hate us, do you know what I mean?

Andy Goldstein: A lot of people have asked me, why do you never release an album of the acoustic stuff you have done at the Royal Albert Hall?

Noel: Eh... the thing that I done at the Royal Albert Hall in 2007 was available on iTunes, and all the money went to charity, so that’s out there, you can get that somewhere, but what, like going in and re-recording....?

Andy Goldstein: Yeah, like an Unplugged thing.

Noel: Well, it’s a bit of a cop-out, innit? There’s lots of things I do when I do those acoustic gigs where the arrangements change, but what would be the point in doing it, what would it achieve? You know, I don’t need the money, I don’t need the kudos...

Jason Cundy: So what now? Will you ever release anything again? I suppose it’s difficult to say now what the future holds, but long-term, what are your plans? Do you want to go back in the studio?

Noel: Yeah, yeah, I’ve got stuff written but I’ll probably start working after the World Cup, I’d say, I’m actually at the mercy of my own bone idleness, I am quite possibly one of the laziest people you’ll ever know, particularly with the extraordinary amount of success already – what’s the point? haha In the early days I was driven by poverty, right, and as I’m not poor anymore I just think, “Can I be bothered with all that?”

Andy Goldstein: Have you got any old songs that you found recently? That you had written half the chorus for and you’ve gone back to it?

Noel: Em, I’ve got... there’s lots of stuff that never kinda made Oasis albums that is kinda lying around that there’s demos of and if I ever get to do something I’d probably look at them but I write all the time, do you know what I mean?, but I’m kinda of, em, I’m not in any rush, I haven’t got a band, anyway, it’s just me at the minute.

The new Adidas advert:

Noel: Well, you know the advert, the street thing?, I’m in, blink and you miss me, but I’m in it, anyway, and it was kinda shot at the same time as that and it was all done against the blue screen thing but I wasn’t in the same room as Snoop Dog and Beckham, they all done their bits in LA but I’ve got like a mate of mine, kinda quite high up in Adidas and he said, “Do you wanna earn a few quid?”, and I went, “I dono about a few, I’ll earn a lot of money, though!”, and he says, “Well, do you wanna be in these adverts?” and he kinda said it was gonna be this street party thing and then they’ve got the rights to use this Star Wars stuff and I was like, “I remember going to see Star Wars in 1977 when it came out!”, I was a massive Star Wars fan, and I was like, “Well, I’m in.” And they sent us this script and it was, you’ve got to flick a beer mat at an alien and I was like, “Wow, this is easy, this is easy!” I haven’t actually seen the finished thing, I’ve seen a rough thing of my bits, and I was like, “What do you want me to say? It’s genius!”

Thanks as always to Dougie

Pre-order 'Time Flies... 1994-2009' and win some signed exclusive album artwork, more details here.

No comments