Breaking News

Noel Gallagher's Thoughts On 'D'You Know What I Mean?'



Former Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher has spoken about the Oasis comeback single 'D'You Know What I Mean?'.

By the end of 1996, Oasis were one of the biggest bands on the planet. Two sold out shows at Knebworth had seen the band play to over 250,000 people while second album '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' topped the charts.

Returning with new material next year, it was clear that something wasn't quite right in the band. Recorded in a hail of drug use, 'Be Here Now' was panned by fans and critics alike after a huge hype campaign.

However the record holds a special place amongst fans. Lead single 'D'You Know What I Mean?' opens with a lengthy spell of feedback, which Noel Gallagher looked back on in a recent video.

"I arrived in London with an Adidas hold all and a battered old acoustic guitar. I had a Rolls Royce now. We arrived in a music scene when there was nothing, it was barren. We left by selling out three nights at Wembley. That's what it means".

Continuing, the guitarist mused on the extremely long length of comeback single 'D'You Know What I Mean?' which clocked in at almost eight minutes on the album edit.

"Why edit it down to four minutes when you can listen to eight minutes?" he asked. "I was so adamant in the studio. We had someone go 'it's too long' and I was like 'it's not long enough!' If you've just sold 12 million records and on Creation... their ethos was: the artist is always right".

"I wouldn't say I was right, though. I can't listen to fuckin' any of that album now!"

Oasis are set to release new singles collection 'Time Flies' later this month.

Source: www.clashmusic.com

Pre-order 'Time Flies... 1994-2009' and win some signed exclusive album artwork, more details here.

No comments