Breaking News

Beady Eye Interview

















Liam Gallagher's post-Oasis band Beady Eye has released their debut album 'Different Gear, Still Speeding'. RTÉ TEN's Taragh Loughrey-Grant grabs a word with Noel's little bro and his band mates to talk hard work, new sound and going solo.

Perhaps it was the lack of renowned tension between the two Gallagher brothers, but Liam and drummer Chris Sharrock and guitarist Andy Bell were in great form, with friendly camaraderie on tap.

Taragh Loughrey-Grant: Do you think people appreciate your work ethic? When Oasis fell apart you went straight into Beady Eye, you have your own clothing range 'Pretty Green' and you're married with three kids.

Liam: I don't think I work that hard really, to be quite honest. I just do me thing, at me own pace. When you get a bit of time, you do something with it. As long as you're doing it well, that's the thing, innit?"

What's your motivation because at this stage it's not money?

Liam: No man, I just like to keep busy. I'm a creative kind of dude and I just like to get things done instead of talking about it.

Out of the Oasis' ashes Beady Eye was born. How did it happen?

Andy: We didn't really think things through that much, we kinda looked 'round the room after the Oasis split happened and just sort of said 'Shall we just carry on making music together?' That met with a round of nods and then we came back to London and started doing it.

Liam: That met with a round of drinks actually!

Whenever you are linked to something controversial, the media often bring up your Irish background Liam.

Yeah, they don't realise I'm half Yugoslavian!

Are you still 'mad for it' and will you still be looking for crazy riders on this tour or are you more green tea and 'Coronation Street' these days?

I've always been that man. We've calmed down a little bit but not too much, we just pick and choose when to have a good time, know what I mean? But we're not in a nursing home!

Perhaps not a good time to bring up the fact that he's turning forty next year.

Sharrock joined Oasis in 2008 and Noel said at the time in an interview for MOJO: "Liam is still not happy about Chris Sharrock, because he's Robbie Williams' drummer. I went home and thought about it and it was just too much of a temptation to p**s Robbie Williams and Liam off in one phone call."

Chris you used to be the drummer for Robbie Williams and does Liam still hold that against you?

No, not at all, I don't think I'd be here if he did. That was just a gig that was just a job in a band, this is something else.

How would you describe the overall 'Different Gear, Still Speeding' sound?

Liam: I think it's pretty colourful man, the album as a whole it's colourful, it's not black or white record, it's not dull and it's very melodic as well.

Andy: If I had to describe the differences in style between Oasis and Beady Eye, I'd say we sound a little more uplifting on this record in comparison to the later Oasis stuff. It's a hard one to call, because we're inside it and we were inside Oasis too.

Chris: I think Andy being on the guitar is a major difference, sound wise.

Liam: And we're still having it man, we're loud and we're still gonna kick ass without a doubt.

'Bring the Light' is a good example of that - along with a couple of other tracks on the album it has a very 60's, psychedelic feel to it that will surely play well in your live gigs.

Andy: When we were recording the album and playing it round our houses after the pub some nights, when we'd come back to someone's house and put the record on in its unfinished state - 'Bring the Light' was always the one that we'd tear up the room to.

There's an f-word discreetly dropped in there - do you ever worry about that restricting air play?

Liam: I don't think about it, swearing is one of my great pass times.

While you're at it, what's your favourite curse word?

Liam: Are you ready for this? [Big pause for effect.] Feck!

All the lads have a good laugh at this revelation.

The first track on your debut album 'Four Letter Word' is very cinematic.

Andy: It didn't strike us at the time but I definitely know what you mean and other people, like mates of mine have said the same thing, they think it [the album] sounds like a film soundtrack.

There are some interesting lyrics in 'Kill for a Dream', simple yet relevant such as "Life is too short not to forgive" - is that a little throw-back to the rift that ultimately led to the dissolution of Oasis?

Andy: It's a true line, whatever situation it came out of, it still applies to a lot of situations, that's what I was getting at.

Liam, there was a story recently where you told a curious fan, who asked about your lyrics, that you'd no idea what they mean!

Well I know I haven't got a clue what I'm on about. I think Andy knows what he's talking about but believe you me, I have no idea what I'm on about. I am winging it, big style.

Noel wrote most of the Oasis songs and the spotlight is on you now as you've picked up the pen. Are you enjoying it?

I am, I don't really sit around thinking about it too much. As we said, my life is pretty busy as it is but when it comes to writing a song, I find lyrics pretty hard. I clear my head and write the first thing that comes, if it rhymes with the next bit and gets me to the end of the song it's a sense of relief.

Would you ever go solo?

No, Never. Only when I go to the toilet!

At this stage in your careers, you've played some of the biggest stages and events in the world, including Knebworth, whether together as Oasis or with other groups. How does it feel to be starting out again?

Chris: It happens to us all.

Andy: Our audience is just getting more selective!

Is it exciting though to play the more intimate gigs, like your upcoming concerts in the Olympia in Dublin or is it 'Here we go again?'

A chorus of passionate 'No's followed by Andy's: 'Even in the Oasis days we would look forward to the two or three thousand sized venues which we would do regularly. We'd do a few of them on each tour and they're always the most exciting gigs. We're basically making a virtue of it. We can't come out with a new band and start booking stadiums because no one knows our music yet.
Liam: It's gonna be great man, it's what we're looking forward to. We're not doing this because we have to, we're doing it because we want to. There's plenty of time for the stadiums."

Given the fact that Oasis enjoyed 22 consecutive Top Ten hits and Beady Eye's debut single 'The Roller' entered the UK charts at no 31, where do you see Beady Eye going?

Andy: We'd love to see it going everywhere. The UK and Ireland are quite close to our hearts but I mean anywhere that wants and likes it.

How about America?

Liam: Yeah, they'll do an' all! We just want to keep making music, everything we put out we just want to be great, getting people excited and that but we don't have a real big plan. We just want to make another record as soon as poss.

You joked about your roots earlier Liam but how do you feel about Ireland and your Irish heritage?

I love Ireland, Ireland is top. I love going there and having a good time and that and I can't wait to get back there and play some gigs and having the craic!

The second before we go Andy blurts out..

And I'm married to an Irish lady, Shiarra.

All going well with this album and tour, that could be the paddle to float the next group interview with Beady Eye.

Fans shouldn't expect to hear any cries answered for Oasis favourites answered because it ain't going to happen. Instead get your hands on the new Beady Eye album, 'Different Gear, Still Speeding' and get practising.

Source: www.rte.ie

Visit my newly launched Beady Eye fan site www.standingontheedgeofthenoise.com by clicking here.

No comments