Breaking News

Liam Gallagher Sues Noel













Singer Liam Gallagher yesterday launched an explosive High Court lawsuit against brother Noel - branding him a liar.

Firebrand Liam, 38, issued a libel writ over 44-year-old Noel's claim an Oasis festival gig was axed because the singer was hungover.

Liam said it was a slur on his professionalism.

He demanded an official apology in a letter sent to Noel through his lawyers Carter-Ruck.

But when none was forthcoming, he decided to take action through the High Court in London.

The explosive move escalated the bitter battle between the brothers.

They have been at each other's throats since Oasis, whose mega hits include Roll With It and Wonderwall, split in 2009.

Liam's lawsuit was triggered by a press conference last month when songwriter and guitarist Noel claimed the chart-topping band pulled a performance at the 2009 V Festival in Chelmsford, Essex, because Liam had a hangover.

The official reason given at the time was Liam had laryngitis.

Speaking for the first time about why he quit Oasis, Noel also claimed he rowed with Liam because the singer wanted to promote his clothing label Pretty Green in the programme for the group's last tour.
But in a statement issued yesterday Liam, said of the hangover story: "That is a lie and I want Oasis fans to know the truth.

"I was gutted when I couldn't play the gig because I didn't want to let the fans down. The truth is I had laryngitis, diagnosed by a doctor, preventing me performing that night."

He added: "There are many reasons why Oasis split. But it had nothing to do with my clothing range."

Noel, now a solo artist, will have to make an official response to the writ to the High Court. And if the pair remain at loggerheads they will have to argue it out before a judge.

A source close to Liam - now fronting his own band Beady Eye - said Noel maintained a "deafening silence" after receiving the legal letter.

The source added: "Liam felt he had no choice but the courts. He feels a mix of anger at how he has been treated by his own elder brother and sadness it has come to this.

"Liam is an old-school rock star. I'm sure there have been times when he has taken to the stage after a big one the night before. But that night he had laryngitis.

"He lived for being the frontman of Oasis and singing in front of millions of fans."

The brothers' spats - sometimes erupting into brawls - have become legendary over the years.

In the final months of Oasis, Noel claimed he only ever spoke to Liam on stage. And Liam did not attend Noel's wedding to partner Sarah MacDonald earlier this year.

Liam Gallagher's statement

I HAVE taken legal action against Noel Gallagher for statements he made claiming Oasis pulled out of the 2009 V Festival Chelmsford gig because I had a hangover.

That is a lie and I want Oasis fans and others who were at V to know the truth.

I was gutted when I couldn't play the gig because I didn't want to let the fans down.

But the truth is I had laryngitis, which Noel was made fully aware of that morning, diagnosed by a doctor.

Noel also falsely stated the demise of Oasis followed a massive row in which he claimed I demanded to advertise my clothing range Pretty Green in the Oasis tour programme.

The truth is there was no such discussion or row between us.

I am used to being called all sorts of things by Noel and I have in the past said things about him. But what Noel has alleged this time went way beyond rock-and-roll banter and questioned my professionalism.

I tried to resolve this amicably but have been left with no choice but legal action. All I want is an apology.

Source: www.thesun.co.uk

1 comment

Anonymous said...

I love that Liam doesn't want money - just an apology.
I hope he wins.
~o.z.