Breaking News

Ex-Oasis Star Noel Gallagher Talks Narcotics, Ireland, Music And A Troublesome Sibling













He had a bitter split with his brother Liam that saw the end of Oasis in 2009, now Noel Gallagher is back - and he's on top form.

In a wide-ranging interview with Shuffle, Noel talks frankly about his fame, wealth, early drug-taking, being Irish, his new album...and life after Liam.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - as he calls his new band and album (out this weekend) - will play their first ever performance at Dublin's Olympia next Sunday.

"It's a little bit daunting because I've never sung for an hour-and-a-half every night before," he tells me. "I'd been doing Oasis for 20 years, so I knew I was capable of fulfilling my role in that band standing on my head.

"This will be interesting and I'll be nervous going on, but I've never had stage fright. I know I can do it and I've got a great advantage over most people - I've got f**king great songs to play. And people know my voice, so half the battle is already won."

Will he miss Liam on stage?

"I don't think about it.That was then and this is now," he responds.

Noel walked out on Oasis after a furious row with Liam before a Paris show in 2009. The gig was cancelled and it was the end of the road for the iconic British band who played Slane twice.

"I hadn't had enough of Oasis, I'd had enough of Liam," Noel says.

Whether playing Slane Castle or the Olympia, it's all the same to Noel.

"My lounge is bigger than the Olympia and it's the smallest gig I've done in 15 years, but I don't really think about it as being a big or a small venue," he muses.

His father, Tommy, and mother, Peggy, are from Meath and Mayo respectively - but Noel doesn't flaunt his Irish roots.

"There is no English blood in me, but I don't need to be wearing the green, white and gold on St Patrick's Day to prove it to anyone," he says.

"I spent summers in Ireland all through the '70s and most of the '80s, bringing in the hay with my uncles in Charlestown in Mayo. I loved it and every time I go back it just feels natural to be there."

Since those simple times in Ireland, Noel has gone on to become a British rock legend...and a multi-millionaire.

"I didn't go crazy with it (success and money) and I'll tell you why: it's because I wasn't ashamed of it," he says.

"Some people get ashamed of earning money and being successful. I look at it this way: I worked hard for it. I didn't win the pools. Everything I've ever had I've earned. F**k me, I was going to enjoy it when I got it, make no mistake about that.

"But I've never been flash. I spent a lot on drugs, though, in the early days," he says almost in a whisper."Yeah, I spent a lot of money on drugs."

Is that a regret?

"Not really, it was f**kin' great," he responds without a hint of humour.

"It's not something I would pass on to my children, mind. But I have to say I don't look back at that period and think, 'I was at my lowest
and weakest then'.They were f**kin' great times believe you me.

"But there comes a point where you got to realise that this can't go on forever because then you end up like Pete Doherty or Amy Winehouse. I've got a bit too much working class pride for that.

"One day I got up and thought, 'F**k, I'm not doing this anymore'.That was it."

Were the drugs good for his creativity?

"No," Noel says. "I only wrote one album strung out on drugs and that was Be Here Now. I know it's a lot of people's favourite, but it's not mine."

Noel enjoys his notoriety. "Being famous is f**king brilliant and anyone who says otherwise is a weakling," he says.

"My level of fame is not like David Beckham's. I'm not super famous and I don't chase it. I still get public transport in London and I've not been asked for a picture once. I get the Tube every day and people are not arsed."

Noel is proud of his new album. "It will appeal to Oasis fans, but it's not stadium rock," he adds. "If I'm still doing the Olympia in 10 years time I'll know it has gone tits up."

Source: www.sundayworld.com

No comments