Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On Adele, Matt Cardle, X Factor And More













In between his ongoing feud with brother Liam and mouthing off about this year's X Factor lot, it's easy to forget that Noel Gallagher has a new album out. His first sort-of solo album, to be precise - with the backing of his anonymous High Flying Birds bandmates.

Having given the album a spin earlier this month, we called him up to find out whether he's suffering any release-week nerves and his take on today's rock bands.

What would you be doing now if you weren't talking to us?
"If I get a day off I'd just be mooching about the house. I don't like to do a great deal. Smoke some cigarettes, strum the guitar. You don't get much of a chance to do that when you've kids running around you all the f**king time."

You have an album out soon; are you allowed to relax at the moment?
"I work until about 7 o'clock and then clock in with my wife for the night shift. It's been OK - I don't mind the work because I allow myself such long periods of time off between recording and touring. I kind of get geared up for it; to know that I'm working flat out for the next two years feels great because I know I'll take another 18 months off after."

Early reviews of the album are suggesting it's on a par with Oasis's What's the Story Morning Glory?. Do you agree?
"I've only read the Q and Mojo ones, but it's difficult for me to get involved in that argument - but I think it's the best collection of songs I've had on an album in a long time. I've not written a whole album since 1999, so I'm glad people are saying that."

Some of the songs were written as long as ten years ago; did you always intend to keep them back for a solo project?
"I'd actually recorded those songs for the last two Oasis albums - and they were f**king great - but the vocals were never finished on them - they weren't as good as the versions on this album. Liam always ran out of time to finish them, and I thought if I didn't put them out now, I'm never going to."

You've released two great singles from the LP but they haven't charted as highly as you'd necessarily expect. Does that annoy you?
"Chart positions haven't bothered me since [2005's] Don't Believe The Truth - it all seemed to change after that. I was actually blown away that the singles managed to hang around for as long as they did - it shows a good song is a good song. I mean, how many 45-year-old fathers of three are in the charts? None! Beady Eye have done similar chart-wise, so why should I expect any different?"

What's wrong with the charts at the moment?
"There's nothing wrong them, they're just unrecognisable now from when I was growing up. It's a f**king free-for-all now! When 'The Death of You and Me' charted, the only other guitar song in the Top 40 was Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'Under The Bridge' which was out 20 years ago but was in some new film. It's a mish-mash of all sorts of s**t. Who cares what's number one anymore? Just be thankful we lived in the '90s."

Are you hoping for a number one on the album chart instead then?
"I can't see it being number one as it's out the same week as Matt Cardle. Chart positions are for people with manbags who get to work at 11am because they've been at a digital meeting. It definitely won't affect the band - I'm on my own label and funded it with my kids' school fund - I'm hardly going to drop myself."

It would be quite funny if you did, though.
"It would - and then I can sue myself for aggravated dismissal. All I need is the record sales to break even so I can make another one."

'AKA... What A Life' is being used on the Vauxhall TV ads; has that ruined the song for you yet?
"Not really. Radio 1 are refusing to play my records - I understand that because I'm too old - but there are very few ways to get your music out there today, and unfortunately everything is for sale. I've had my shot with Radio 1 - I'm not going to sue them like Status Quo did. I wasn't sure on the advert at first - I want you to know that I was only thinking of the money when I agreed to it. It's hard being this age in the music industry."

Adele has bucked the current trends and become one of the biggest successes of the year. Are you a fan of her album?
"I've not heard it. I've heard 'Rolling in the Deep' and that was pretty good. I haven't got the album though - and to be frank I don't know anyone who has."

Aren't you intrigued to see what all the fuss is about?
"Not really. I know what she's about and I have no desire to hear that album."

As well as the charts being in a bit of a state, so is the country. Could that be a driving force for the revival of rock music?
"I don't think we live in those times when great art comes out of great adversity. People don't give a s**t anymore - as long as they've got an iPod, an iPad, mobile phone, and a flatscreen TV then they don't give a f**k. Everything you want you can get because it's all superficial. People don't aspire to be what Oasis and similar bands were about. They all want to be on The X Factor."

Do you think The X Factor is to blame for the state of the music industry?
"Take that Frankie [Cocozza] kid - he looks like an indie kid yet he's on The X Factor. They want the fast track to the big car. F**king go for it, but it's nothing to do with music. I think this country will produce less and less Morrisseys and Ian Browns because people won't sign them. Labels don't want it and the working class people can't afford to do it for themselves."

There's still a lot of indie bands around, though...
"There are, but what are those bands about? Will any of them say anything controversial? I don't think they ever will. I read interviews with bands and I don't give a f**king shit about what they're saying. It's all superficial nonsense. There's no reason why Kasabian or the Arctic Monkeys couldn't sell out Wembley for three nights - so it's something else. Whatever it is, these bands don't have it anymore."

You met Tony Blair when he was appointed prime minister; would you do the same if David Cameron invited you today?
"No way. I gave up on politics at the last election - it's all bollocks now. It all ended at this coalition - I don't remember an option for a coalition. How many people would have voted for it if it was an option? Who gives them the f**king right to decide that? I've don't mind Cameron - but get a proper f**king job, because what they're doing is pointless."

You're including some Oasis songs on your upcoming tour. Which do you think are the best?
"I have to include them - I don't have enough material for a show otherwise! Fortunately I've got an excellent back catalogue to fall back on. I'm doing 'Don't Look Back In Anger' on the acoustic guitar which is sounding particularly poignant at the moment. Rehearsing is getting f**king boring now. I just want to get on with it before we over-rehearse and turn s**t."

Noel Gallagher releases Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds today.

Source: www.digitalspy.co.uk

No comments