Breaking News

Noel Gallagher Plans To Release His Album With Amorphous Androgynous In June













It's the afternoon in Los Angeles and Noel Gallagher is a world away from his former life. It's almost two years to the day since the night in Paris when a backstage fight between Gallagher and his younger brother, Liam, ended one of Britain's biggest bands, Oasis.

For Gallagher the elder, time has flown since the messy-yet-inevitable implosion of the Mancurian band that sold more than 70 million albums.

''Someone said that to me today and I was flabbergasted that it was only two years; it feels a lot longer,'' he says. ''I've done so much in those two years. I've left the band, got married [in June, to long-time partner Sara MacDonald], had another baby [he now has two sons with MacDonald], made two albums, moved house. What else have I done? Had my hair cut short.''

Gallagher is in LA filming another video, the third, for his new musical project, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. In July, he held a press conference to announce the band and its self-titled album.

Gallagher started recording on the night of last year's Brit Awards. ''My missus decided I was spending too much time at home and … are you married? Explain this to me. It's like, you know, it was always 'You never spend enough time at home'. And then when you do, what happens then? It's like, 'When are you going back to work?'''
On its October 17 release, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds made its debut at No.1 on the British charts, which would have no doubt pleased Gallagher the elder and peeved Gallagher the younger; the debut album from Liam's new band, Beady Eye (which features the rest of Oasis), only came in at No.3.

The initial six-date High Flying Birds tour sold out before the album's release. It opened in Dublin on October 23 and finished on Monday at the Roundhouse in London to glowing reviews - unlike the album, which, despite boasting plenty of Gallagher's trademark big-chorus songs, has received mixed responses.

Much to the delight of Oasis fans, however, the live sets have been peppered with a healthy dose of Oasis numbers - ''I wrote the songs, I'll play them,'' Gallagher says simply.

In his far-ranging press conference in July, Gallagher admitted regret at breaking up Oasis when he did but has gone on to distance himself further from the band. Liam sued his brother in early August after Noel claimed Oasis had to cancel a show in 2009 because Liam was hung-over.

In a webchat he held with friend and comedian Matt Morgan a couple of weeks later and a few days before our interview, Gallagher apologised to Liam for the slight. Liam had said all he wanted was an apology. So did he drop the lawsuit? ''You'll have to ask Liam,'' comes Noel's clipped reply. ''And tell him I said hi.''

Since EG's chat with Gallagher, the lawsuit has been dropped but the stoush continues. It was reported last week that Liam offered to re-form Oasis in 2015 for the 20th anniversary of their first album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, but that Noel had declined. ''He's got my permission to go and play it,'' Noel told the BBC. ''I left that band for a reason and that reason still stands.''

The man who brought Oasis to the world, Creation Records founder Alan McGee, told EG during a visit to Australia a few weeks ago that although he was more in contact with Noel than Liam he didn't take sides in the brothers' feud.

''Neither one of them are in my social world because I'm in Wales; I don't see anybody,'' he says. ''I'm glad I live in Wales sometimes when it's going on between them, because I can't be involved in it any more, which is f---in' great, it's not my problem,'' he chuckles. ''I hope they make up because they're brothers. I hope it gets sorted out.''

The time for reconciliation might be a way off. Gallagher the elder is not only busy with touring High Flying Birds - he is strongly tipped to be announced for next year's Big Day Out - but has been finishing off the second album he has recorded with the British act Amorphous Androgynous. He plans to release it about June next year.
''We've just gone back and tweaked a couple of mixes,'' he says. ''Other than that it's completely recorded and completely done. If my music in the High Flying Birds has slightly psychedelic tinges to it, then on this next album it's been exaggerated by the times of 20.''

Is it like the material he did with the Chemical Brothers? ''No, that was more electronic, this is more '70s psychedelia. It's good, though, you'll like it. You'll love it.''

Like Hawkwind?

''Yes! Like Hawkwind. Seriously! Like Silver Machine. F---, ha ha ha!''

Source: www.smh.com.au

No comments