Breaking News

Noel Gallagher: Stadium Rock Is Not What I’m Really About











“Stadium rock is not what I’m really about. I’m just about writing songs . . . whether they be jazz or disco or psychedelic pop - I can deliver them,’’ says Gallagher

It may seem strange to hear Noel Gallagher say “I’m learning how to be onstage,’’ since the former guitarist and chief songwriter for Oasis has spent the better part of his life performing. But just a few shows into the first tour for his solo project Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, which comes to the Citi Wang Theatre tomorrow night, Gallagher is learning that moving just a few steps over to the spot his younger brother Liam occupied as the frontman for Oasis has brought him into a whole new world. And he likes it.

“I didn’t think I’d be, after six gigs, really enjoying the center-stage thing but it’s all fallen into place quite brilliantly,’’ he says on the phone from London in his unmistakable Manchester accent.

Although he resists the descriptor “nervous’’ as imprecise, Gallagher had some anxieties about striking out on his own after the dissolution of the multiplatinum Brit pop-rock band in 2009, following the final falling out between the endlessly combative siblings.

“ ‘Am I going to be a solo artist? Am I going to be in a band?’ ’’ he recalls asking himself, admitting that he “missed the band thing pretty quickly.’’

“I think that what was a slightly bit frustrating about the end of Oasis was I was trying to write stadium rock and it was obvious making this record that stadium rock is not what I’m really about. I’m just about writing songs. It doesn’t matter what the songs are - whether they be jazz or disco or psychedelic pop - I can deliver them. I can do it.’’

While there isn’t anything on the just released, eponymous Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds album that would likely be described as jazz, the singer-songwriter does stretch a bit into a few areas beyond his familiar Beatles-Kinks-Jam axis. A New Orleans-style brass section adorns the lilting “The Death of You & Me,’’ the tremulous “Stop the Clocks’’ - one of a few Oasis holdovers - culminates in a nutty, time-shifting coda and “AKA . . . What a Life!’’ is a straight up contemporary dance rocker.

Read the full article here.

Source: bostonglobe.com

No comments