Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On The Godlike Genius That Is Johnny Marr














Noel Gallagher On Johnny Marr

"The second time I ever met him, we drove to this guitar shop in Doncaster because he'd been asking were I got my guitars from. He picked me up in this big Mercedes with Owen Morris - who would go on to produce the big Oasis albums - and he was playing 'Exodus' by Bob Marley And The Wailers. He kept rewinding it and going on about the groove. He was so knowledgeable, so enthusiastic, that every time I hear that song now, it reminds me of driving to Doncaster in the rain with him. He was always about the music. I was hanging out with him before Oasis took off, and I don't think we spoke about anything he'd ever done: all he wanted to talk about was this band Oasis and what was going to happen with us. I've never met a guy as humble as him. He only ever played on one Oasis track ['(Probably) All In My Mind' from 2002's 'Heathen Chemistry'], and as irony would have it, it was probably the shittiest track I ever wrote.

Taken from this week's NME that includes as interview with Marr himself where he reflects on his entire career, looks to the future, has a pop at the government and settles the score on The Smiths reunion rumours, for now...




















No comments