Breaking News

Liam Gallagher Says He's Eyeing Up An Oasis Comeback














The Stone Roses have inspired Liam Gallagher to leave the door open for an Oasis comeback as he gets ready to play Glasgow gig.

The Beady Eye frontman says he is still angry with brother Noel over the band’s split in 2009 but believes the wounds are already healing.

As I caught up with the singer ahead of Beady Eye’s gig at Glasgow’s ABC tomorrow night, Liam said: “What the Stone Roses said about never reforming is what you say when you are still hurting.

“It’s what Noel has said and it is what I have said about Oasis.

“It’s what you say when you are still p***ed off with someone but you can change your mind.

“I’m not hurting any more.

“I am p***ed off but I am getting through it so anything could happen.”

“We could get back together.

“I haven’t spoken to our kid since 2009 so it’s a long way off.”

He added: “Outside a band, he’s cool as f***.

“As brothers in a band, me and him don’t get on.

“He’s surrounded by idiots and I’m not.

“Until he loses a few clowns he’ll remain in idiotville. We’ll get over it though.

“I’m doing Beady Eye and he is doing whatever he is doing.

“I’m buzzing now. I’m musically satisfied.”

Beady Eye are back with their second album BE riding high in the charts, and Liam insists Noel should hear it – because he’ll be impressed.

Liam and Noel in the early days of Oasis Liam and Noel in the early days of Oasis

“He’ll probably have a listen to this album,” he told me.

“He should do because it is really good. It’s not perfect, but it is a step up for us in places.

“Noel has mastered the art of writing songs for years.

“I’m still learning. He’s way ahead when it comes to music without a doubt.

“But I p*** all over him vocally. I destroy him.”

Sipping sparkling water in Glasgow’s Radisson Blu Hotel, the singer admits he is looking forward to returning to Glasgow for tomorrow night’s gig.

The Sauchiehall Street venue is a stone’s throw from Glasgow’s King Tut’s – where Oasis landed their record deal, in 1993.

And for the first time, Liam has given his take on what happened that night when the band reportedly fought their way on to the stage and impressed Creation Records boss Alan McGee enough for him to offer them a contract on the spot.

“It’s all your fault that we got signed,” he joked. “Blame it on the Glaswegians.

“All I know is that we were rehearsing with a girl band called Sister Lovers at the Boardwalk [in Manchester] and they said they were going up to support some band.

“I think it might have been 18 Wheeler.

“Sister Lovers suggested we come up and see if we could get a gig, so we were like, ‘All right, cool’.

“We got a splitter van, jumped into it with a couple of mates and drove up to Scotland.

“We had a nice day, got here.

“As far as can remember the geezer was going, ‘Who the f*** are you lot? You’re not going on’.

“There was no fighting or us threatening to burn the building down or anything.

“We just said, ‘Come on, mate, just let us go on as soon as the doors open’. That was it. I said, ‘We’re cool as f***’. There might have a been a bit of an argument, but we weren’t there telling him we were going to give him a paper cut or anything like that.

“I said, ‘Come on, man. We’re doing I Am The Walrus, we can’t be that bad’.

“That got said and he let us go on.”

Amazingly, Liam had no idea who McGee was, let alone that he was in the audience.

“He was there, but I had never even heard of Alan McGee,” Liam said.

“I’d never even heard of Creation Records, because none of my favourite bands were on the label.

“When we came backstage, some guy with ginger hair asked us if we wanted a record deal.

“We were like, why not? We went down to London and did the deal.”

Hundreds claim to have been at the gig, though Liam says the venue was empty and they performed to a handful of people.

“It was like Knebworth, wasn’t it?” he joked. “In reality, there was nobody there when we played except for Alan McGee.

“There was nobody there for 18 Wheeler either.”

Last week, Beady Eye were in Scotland for an album signing session and gig at Glasgow’s HMV store in Buchanan Street — a far cry from the record-breaking outdoor gigs Liam played with Oasis.

“You’ve got to go and take it to the people, man,” he said.

“If the powers that be aren’t letting it happen, you get in your van and get
out there.

“People say I wouldn’t have done that in Oasis. I would have done it in Oasis.

“It’s nice to get closer rather than just being onstage. I enjoyed it at HMV. It was a lot more relaxed than the proper gigs, which are a lot more intense.

“It was a lot more chilled and you could hear more of the music. At the gigs, I’m fighting for air.”

He added: “There were top kids and geezers there.

“The funniest thing was this bloke who asked me what aftershave I was wearing.

“He said, ‘I’m not a queer or anything, but let me tell you this. You smell delightful. You smell f***ing delicious’. It freaked me out, man. I thought, ‘Has the world gone mad? There’s a Glaswegian bloke who looks hard as nails asking me what aftershave I’m wearing’.”

Two nights after the in-store, Beady Eye appeared as special guests on TV talent show The Voice, generating some criticism.

“If no one’s playing our tunes on the radio and our videos ain’t getting on MTV, as far as I am concerned it is only like doing CD:UK,” Liam told me.

“Sometimes you’ve got to go toe to toe with the bulls***.

“You get a lot of kids sitting in their little bedsits going, ‘Oh, guitar music’s dead’.

“I’ll tell you why it’s dead, because you are all living in cool school — so I don’t care what people think.

“Britain’s Got Talent is dogs and cats and The X Factor is Simon Cowell, but as far as The Voice goes, you’ve got to do it, man.”

Meanwhile, he insists he’ll carry on singing into his old age, even if his voice changes as he goes along.

“I don’t think it is even a choice,” he said. “You just do it.

“As long as what you are doing is half-decent if not the b******* or the best thing you think you’ve done, and as long as you still look half decent and people still want to hear you sing.

“As you get older you are not going to be as good as what you were.

“Your voice isn’t going to be as strong as it was, but as long as it is not b*******.

“No one can sing like they did when they were 20.

“You get a little bit better and a little more refined when you get to about 30.

“No one’s going to be able to belt it out at 70, but my voice is getting better.

“You have to work your voice around the music. I can still sing rock ’n’ roll songs, but I can also sing softer songs.

“With this album, there is a bit more ambience. There are still some rock ’n’ roll tunes on it.

“We are looking back at it. Different Gear, Still Speeding was pretty uptight, rock ’n’ roll, crash bang wallop.

“This one you can sit back and enjoy. It is looser and has more depth to it. I like it.”

Source: www.dailyrecord.co.uk

No comments