Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On Being A Frontman And Playing With U2, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, Coldplay And More














Taken from a interview with Dutch magazine 'OOR' that is on sale now, thanks to General Dread for the translation.

If you live outside the Netherlands you can buy the magazine from here.

Interviewer: Frontman or second fiddle?

Noel: Second man. All day. When the first High Flying Bird record was released, it was the first thing I was anxious of: me, in the spotlights, the one person that carries all the weight. Playing guitar all night, it’s all I know. Singing the whole night: that's pushing it. But standing in the spotlight that’s not where I feel comfortable. I knew that back then I know it now. I eased my mind by thinking, oh well, we’ll play some theatres and maybe some bigger venues, that will be manageable. But no, the thing grew and grew and in the end I was playing in a full 02 arena. Totally unexpected. Great of course that the tunes we’re liked, but it was never my intention. It’s the only thing that I'm not looking forward to now that I’ll be starting with chapter two: I know how big it could get and I just like being in the centre of the stage. I dare to say that I've grown accustomed to it, I know exactly what to do. But if it was an option I’d put a step to the side right now for a great frontman.

Interviewer: Name a frontman with who you’d feel comfortable?

Noel: Bono, U2. They already have The Edge but I wouldn't have a problem with playing second guitar for them. I’d fit right in. As long as you don’t pass him by. And there are others: David Bowie, even though he works so little that I wouldn't make anything of it. Neil Young, if a positions frees up in Crazy Horse he should call me. Bob Dylan. Paul McCartney. You know, I’d even dare to say Coldplay if I’d only have to play guitar.

Interviewer: Sometimes solutions are closer than you’d think…

Noel: From your view maybe. I see it more likely that I’d play with Coldplay or U2 then any other comparable band.

Check out the current collection and offers from Pretty Green here.

No comments