Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On Losing Touch With Manchester













Noel Gallagher has been speaking about losing touch with his Manchester now that he lives in London.

In an interview with the Manchester Evening News he said “It’s always in your heart and it’s always in the memory bank,” .

“Do I still feel connected? I still feel connected to the football club and I still feel connected to the people.

“But when I go up there at the weekends, there’s a different kind of head case up there and it’s like a Disneyland - it’s like being in a theme park for lunatics. It is mental.”

The track, While The Song Remains The Same, was inspired by a walk Noel used to take every week through the city centre. “How that song came about was I was coming up to see (Manchester) City 18 months ago,”

“I used to live on Whitworth Street and on a Saturday I would do this specific route, walk around the shops to see my mates that worked at the shops, and then walk back to the flat.

“That Saturday 18 months ago when I was up there, I thought, ‘Do you know what? I’m going to do that walk again because I haven’t done it since I was in my 20s’.

“At every turn, the landmarks of my life had gone. And I was shocked. Pubs that used to be there were health clubs and restaurants, and some of the buildings aren’t there. And there’s a whole other part of the city built after the IRA bomb.

“It was like, ******* hell, I kinda don’t recognise it any more. When I got back to London my wife asked why I was so sad about it, and I told her it was because I would have liked to do that walk with my sons and shown them where I played for the first time, or this was the Hacienda.”

An extended interview with Noel is in the latest edition of CityLife, inside Friday's M.E.N.

Noel Gallagher and the High Flying Birds are playing Manchester Arena on March 9. Tickets are still on sale, priced £35-£70.

Check out the current collection and offers from Pretty Green here.

No comments