Breaking News

Liam Gallagher On Oasis, Bonehead Driving The Van, Drinking, Weed, Security Guards And More


Liam Gallagher has spoken about the rise of Oasis from the times Bonehead drove the Oasis tour van, sharing hotel rooms with band members to playing arenas and stadiums.

He told NME Gold "I cant remember anything about journalists being on the early tours. But those were the fucking days, man: when you don't really know if anyone gives a fuck or not. Bonehead driving the van, sharing rooms and shit, lots of drinking, lots of weed smoking, not so much of the other at that point. Just never-ending nights, d'you know what I mean? Just feeling invincible never really worrying about singing or any of that. I don't think I ever warmed up once. I'd just be sat backstage stoned and someone goes, 'Right you're on', and that would be it. Not that professional to be fair, which was good at that time. It's when you go into arenas that you start thinking, 'Fucking Hell. I've got to hold it down a bit.' it's a bit of an occasion then, when it's not just in a pub, and it seems like a lot of people have dressed up for it or whatever. It's like 'Fuck I better put this spliff out.' In them early days, didn't have any security guards either so it was just us lot in a van and the road crew."

He added "I remember getting the first security guard and thinking 'Fuck this. What's this all about?' I remember he came on because Noel got a whack at some gig, and then all of a sudden there they are. But he's stood by my side! I'm like 'Here y'are mate it wasn't me who got the dig! Go stand with him.' So then I had this big daft cunt who was always hanging about with me. Our kid would have a bit of freedom running off down the road, and I'd be stuck with the big idiot, just wherever I went. I'd be going 'I'm just to the shop', and he'd go 'I've been told I've got to come with you'. So that pissed me off a bit. I found that adjustment a bit weird. We'd have a little aftershow, and then just bowl out and have a laugh with the fans and all that. But when it got to arenas, I just stayed backstage because it got a bit intense. It was like everyone was in your face and it got a bit rabid. Early days, you could kind of sit about and have a beer with all the fans, and it was chilled. Then when it went massive, everyone was just on soon as you came offstage. I kind of stopped doing that stuff."

NME Gold: Liam Gallagher is on sale now.

No comments