Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On How He First Played A Guitar, The Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Smiths And More


A few quotes from Once in a Lifetime Sessions with Noel Gallagher' that is currently being shown on the US version of Netflix.

Noel on how he first started playing guitar.

"There was a guitar in our house that no one could ever play. It was just lent against the inside of the backdoor, and I could never understand why it was there. According to my Mam my Dad had gone out one Saturday afternoon to buy her a present for her birthday and he came back with a guitar. Which he could never play and nobody ever played it. And when I used to get grounded, I'd take the guitar upstairs and play along to Joy Division and The Sex Pistols. And I wasn't practising with the grand idea of one day of being in a band or anything like that. I was just fascinated by the music and playing along to these songs. And it wiled away the hours, you know and even to this day I can sit just pick up the guitar at home and two hours will go just like that".

Noel on The Smiths.

"All the music that I listened to was The Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Smiths, The Buzzcocks, Joy Division, New Order. It was all kind of very big guitar music, it was like guitar pop music. And I am only a sum of my influences. I didn't even invent anything. I was a lad who listened to music a lot and then played along with it and then eventually stumbled into being a songwriter. So I never invented anything the way that, you know like The Mondays invented this ramshackle fucking thing that no ones ever done since. And The Smiths were the most unique band that ever come out of England. So it wasn't like that. But the music that I listened to was very guitar orientated. So I had a little bit of an idea of what it should be like very early on. But then when the songs came it was just immense, it was just unbelievable".

I will type up some more over the next few days. 

No comments