Breaking News

Ricky Hatton Interview With StopCryingYourHeartOut.com





























































































StopCryingYourHeartOut.com caught up with legendary British boxer Ricky 'The Hitman' Hatton recently to discuss his new fight night: 'The Boys Are Back In Town'. The event will feature some of the top up and coming names in British Boxing and is being promoted by Ricky's own Hatton Promotions.

Here's what Ricky had to say about all things Boxing, Oasis and Man City.

Q: Hi Ricky hows things? and thanks for taking the time to do this.

Thanks for inviting me to answer some questions. I am taking advantage of the great British summer and resting at the moment

Q: You're friendship with Oasis goes back a long way, did you enjoy introducing the band in Liverpool for the first night of the UK tour last year. Was that a bit daunting for you? And did you enjoy the experience?

I have always been a massive Oasis fan. After my Family, Boxing and City the other passion in my life is Oasis. Through boxing I am fortunate to have appeared in front of big crowds, when I got asked to announce the lads at Liverpool it was a massive honour. It was just after some clown had had a go at Noel so I was bubbling inside with excitement. I jokingly warned that if anybody tried anything in Liverpool they would have to answer with me. Luckily nobody got up.

Q: Do you own any Oasis memorabilia, if you do whats your favorite piece?

I save all my laminates but the best thing I have is a Manchester City guitar signed by Noel and Liam and Mani from The Stone Roses. It has pride of place in my games room. I have a signed photograph from Noel and Liam where we are all together in the ring after the Malignaggi fight.

Q: Noel told us in a interview he did with us earlier this year, that after your fight with Malignaggi you went on a almighty piss-up spanning two continents. What was it like to be on the road with Oasis? And do you have any good stories to tell us?

It was brilliant being on the road, I was in Mexico City, I was like Gulliver because the Mexicans are all small. Its a good job I was there, I made sure they were in bed early, only joking. Then three weeks later I was in Las Vegas for the De La Hoya fight and we rushed straight over to the Palms to watch the lads. I met up with them backstage and I went for a quiet pint or two with Noel and Russell Brand in the Playboy Club. On the way up I borrowed a wheel chair and made my entrance to the club with my leg in the air. Noel creased himself, after Vegas I think they must have thought I was stalking them.

Q: What did Liam say to Malignaggi when he thrusted one of your belts into his face? As he looked a bit annoyed at what Liam said to him.

From what I can recall, Liam went over to Malignaggi and shoved one of my belts in front of them and said something like "what do you think of that" that got me a bit worried because Paulie is an Italian from New York and he had half the Sopranos with him. To make things worse some clown arranged for Oasis and there security to be sat behind the Malignaggi corner during the fight, but it was absolutely amazing to have all the lads at the fight. They came in the dressing room before the fight. Imagine having Oasis the full band, Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, David Beckham all in the same room at the same time brilliant. It was an honour for me to have Liam and Noel walk me out with the belts.

Q: Liam gave you some items from his Pretty Green label, what did you think of them? And have you given Liam any of your own range as he does quite a bit of jogging these days?

I love the Pretty Green stuff just up my street, I wear the hats all the time. I didn't know he was out jogging I will send him some kit.

Q: What's your favorite album by Oasis? And Why?

I think my favourite album is Don't Believe The Truth, it has tracks like Lyla and A Bell Will Ring which was dedicated to me when Oasis played Manchester City's ground a couple of years back. I was in Tenerife and all my mates phoned me to tell me.

Q: What's your favorite track by Oasis? And Why?

Its hard to pick one tune, I would say Cigarettes And Alcohol, Live Forever and Rock 'n' Roll Star.

Q: You are now promoting fights with your own stable of fighters, do you think you can find the next big thing?

I will let people decide for themselves on that but I know that with my boxing experience and I have a great team around me that there is no reason why in the coming years Hatton Promotions will be a force to be reckoned with. We already have 8 Sky TV dates for the next year starting in September.

Q: What have you learned from previous promoters, that you will use in your new career?

I have seen a lot on the way up some good and some not so good. But the thing that stands out for me is the model that Goldenboy uses. I want to be the same show the fighters exactly what is on the table so they know what they are getting. I want transparency.

Q: If you could promote any boxer current or past, who would it be and why?

Roberto Duran my hero, he was always in an exciting fight and a great ticket seller, just what a promoter needs

Q: Regardless of weight, if you could choose to fight anyone in history who would it be?

Again if I could fight him Roberto Duran. It would have been an honour and I would have seen just how good he really was.

Q: Who is the most talented natural fighter you've ever stepped into the ring with?
Its a toss up between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather sadly they both beat me but they are without doubt the best.

Q: You have launched your own clothing range and have recently opened a brand new gym too. Are there any other projects you are working on at the moment that you can tell us about?

I am very busy at the moment one of my projects is www.hattonboxing.tv I have my own TV show on the Internet and they film the fights at my promotions and do some great interviews, check it out

Q: Out of Liam and Noel who would make the better boxer?

Liam or Noel, that's a tricky one I don't know who would win but I wouldn't mind promoting it.

Q: What other band's/artists do you like?

Apart from Oasis, I like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Stone Roses, James, Kings Of Leon but I also like all types of music from Sinatra and Elvis through to Johnny Cash

Q: What was the first album you bought?

Oasis Be Here Now was the first album I bought

Q: In certain parts of Manchester you are known as the Karaoke King with renditions of Elvis classics. Do you do any Oasis numbers?

I have been known to do Oasis, I would say Wonderwall is my karaoke song from Oasis

Q: Manchester City have made some great signings this summer, who are you most excited about joining you and why?

City have signed some world class players I think I will be looking forward to seeing Tevez, he has come from the dark side and he is no nonsense and a grafter, but like I said we have a lot of world class players

Q: If they made a film of your life, who would you like to play you and why?

If they made a film of me they would need two actors, Tom Cruise in training and Johnny Vegas out of training.

Q: I have read in several newspapers a few years ago you bought a Only Fool And Horse 3 Wheeled Van, complete with a blow up doll and a Dell Boy suit and hat. Do you drive around in it, or is it kept locked up in the garage?

I have the Trotters van in my garage. when it comes to television that is without doubt my favourite programme. I have it in the garage. I got it mot' d lately so I can go for a spin in it. I even starred in a spin off of Only Fools And Horses called Green Grass. I met Boycie and Marlene, luvley jubbly.

Ricky Hatton has a Fight Night coming up with The Boys Are Back In Town Fight Night on August 21st at the Manchester Velodrome for mor information visit www.hattonboxing.tv

The first picture shown in the post is Owned by Getty Images and under licence with Punch Promotions.

All other images included in the post are used by the kind permission of Punch Promotions.

Thanks to Ricky Hatton for taking the time to do this, and a extra special thanks to Paul Speak :)

Oasis at the iTunes Festival is now available to download on iTunes, for more details click here.

3 comments

Anonymous said...

great read I enjoyed that, and great pictures.

Pete P. said...

Top interview, thanks!

Pete P. said...

Top interview, thanks!