Breaking News

Noel Gallagher Blasts Apple Music














Gallagher continues his criticism of streaming services following take down of Tidal.
Noel Gallagher has voiced his opinion on Apple's new music streaming service Apple Music following recent disparaging remarks made about rival platform Tidal.

In May, Gallagher was quoted as saying that the artists that helped launch Jay Z's Tidal thought they were "the fucking Avengers". Commenting on their goals to "save music", the former Oasis guitarist said that "they might want to write a decent chorus for a fucking start".

Now, speaking to the Varvet International podcast, Gallagher has said that while he admits that streaming is "clearly the future" because "people wiser than me tell me that it is", the lack of record sales in modern music "makes him sad".

Gallagher explained his feelings: "If you tell me now that the record buying era is over that makes me sad, that the culture of buying and believing in a record is over. That era is over and the belief is that music is for hire and for rent, the money that you pay lets you access everybody’s music but own none of it. I think that’s a sad day. I understand that it’s the future, but it’s a sad day."

He then shifted his focus to Apple Music, saying of their launch of 24/7 global station Beats 1: "Apple Music, world radio, is that some sort of George Orwell shit going on?"

"How can you be so arrogant that you can say 'We now fucking own world radio'. It came up on my phone, it’s there. What would I listen to? It's not playing The Kinks. Unless there’s a fucking section that says 'Noel Gallagher’s music collection' then I won’t be listening to it.

"I don’t know the idea, what is it exactly? You pay 10 pound a month and then think ‘Mmm, I’m in a jazz mood today’ and then you’re not listening to yours, you’re letting someone else make the decision and I don’t know."

Referring to Apple's new 'Connect' feature that allows fans to follow artists they like, Gallagher continued: "Who gives a fuck what the artist is doing? My love for The Smiths never suffered because I didn’t know what they were doing. They were either on tour, disappeared and then put an album out and we all said ‘Wow, fucking hell an album’s coming out, what’s it called? Nobody knows’.

"Who cares what fucking Thom Yorke is up to? Seriously who gives a shit? I'd find it creepy if everyone wanted to know what I was up to."

Listen to the podcast in full here.

Source: www.nme.com

Check out the current collection and offers from Pretty Green here.

No comments